Wednesday, August 7, 2013

A Wrestling Girl's Fan Moment at Fandomfest...

Many people are blogging about the problems with Fandomfest/ Fright Night Film Festival. After all there were problems with everything from ticketing to photo ops to the desperately needed signage. These have been documented and debated countless times. I’m going to tell you what was GREAT about this con. I attended Fandomfest as an exhibiter thanks to author Amy McCorkle. She allowed me to share a table with her and fellow author Pamela Turner. We were in the Vendor room with some awesome people. Some of whom I knew before (Dave Mattingly, Tony Acree, Frank Hall), some I knew from facebook (shout out to all my fellow Hydra Publications authors and S.B. Knight!) and many I met for the first time (Author J.H. Glaze, Alicia Justice, Susan, Sarah, Andrew, etc.). Anyone I forgot I apologize…after five days I’m still exhausted from the event! I also would like to give a big shout out to one of my idols from childhood. Every Saturday morning my sister, uncle and I would get out of bed and watch cartoons (the only day of the week that they use to be on). Then at noon we would watch local wrestling. It was called many things but most remember it as the USWA Wrestling. From those Saturday mornings grew a love of wrestling and one of the guys I remember most is Jim Cornette. Jim was known as the tennis racket wielding manager known for his dirty deeds. The Jim I met Saturday had that charm and quick wit I remembered. He was also warm and inviting. I told him that I was his biggest fan and he ran with it. For the brief time that I was at his booth it was our running gag. I told him that a picture with him would “kill” my uncle. Jim laughed and said well let’s kill him. Jim Cornette seemed to genuinely care that he gave each of his fans a moment that they wouldn’t forget and I thank him for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment